Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Not the Same ol Resume

I am pretty excited about something usually mundane - my resume.  I decided to take a page from all the graphic artists out there who have created some pretty unusual and visually stimulating CVs I have seen recently on the web.  Since my specialty is Business Intelligence, I decided to showcase some of my reporting skills and format my resume as I would a data visualization.



Some highlights:

  • I quantified my experience as KPIs (key performance indicators) and listed them in two tables.  It was interesting creating data tables in Excel about myself!  To get the metrics, I created a table with columns for month, year, company, title as well as columns for technologies and skills I wanted to measure.  I then populated each row accordingly with one row per month of work experience - for tech and skills I entered "1" for each month utilized.  I used pivot tables to get the metrics I included on my resume.
  • The QRC is a link to my LinkedIn profile.  (I generated it at QRStuff.com)
  • I used a great font by Kazuyuki Motoyama called Ligature Symbols for all the little "icons".
  • The section I struggled the most with was Education and Experience.  I tried a flow chart and a timeline before settling on a Gantt.  I'm thinking of adding meaningful color coding to it that represents the industry of each company.

Hope you find some inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment